Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Guest Post: 'Solar Power Homes'


Guest Post by Eric: 'Solar Power Homes'
HB 1391 is a proposed bill at the State Legislature that would allow Texas homes to be retrofitted with solar panels at no upfront cost to the home owner. In summary, the State of Texas would pay the upfront cost of the solar panels and installation for homes that meet certain solar criteria and in return the home owner would have to pay somewhere around $350.00 more on their property taxes a year (for an average size home). I am not sure how feasible this actually is but this would be a huge step for Texas in the fight for renewable energy. Solar panels are definitely not the most efficient form of renewable energy however it is one of the cleanest. Home owners will not only save significantly on monthly energy bills but also help to reduce emissions and help with the growing demand for new capacity on the existing electric grid.
Eric

7 comments:

  1. I already pay a lot in property taxes, but I think it would be worth it. But I doubt if my HOA would approve it, Kevin T. is a real ball-buster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt is right, that was a really boring posting. Thanks for ruining my blog Eric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Turd-bines" are the future of power generation, not the sun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't we need solar/lunar panels? I want to be able to watch the Big Lobo at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a step in the right direction...I wish it was more, but at least it is something. And I am glad that Texas is a part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Jake, I pay a lot on property taxes and to pay 350 a year extra in the long run would cost you more money...considering all the federal government tax breaks out there. I like the idea that they are looking into other options, but the rate solar panels are falling in price, I think you will see a lot more of them. I also agree with Jake on that HOA guy...Kevin, he is a ball buster, he rejected my bushes...but have you seen that plastic duck outside his house...whats up with that.

    ReplyDelete