Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Let me make you a deal...


I started to waver on my position regarding the auto-maker bailouts after some convincing arguments from Brett, but watching the latest events with the situation has only reaffirmed my stance. I don't think this is going to end well and I think we are making the wrong decision in continuing to support GM and Chrysler. I don't think our country should be giving these failing companies money, backing everyone's car warranties, or be screwing around in that industry at all. I think that if GM and Chrysler want to survive they need to declare Chapter 11 and reorganize as new companies that can compete in today's marketplace selling quality products. American cars cost more and are crappier quality. Honda's and Toyota's cars get better gas mileage, have cooler features, and last forever. GM, Chrysler, and Ford got too comfortable over the last 20 years with their way of doing things and they have not kept up with market trends and their labor costs have become unaffordable. But I don't think that our government should be wasting our tax dollars trying to fix it. Yet another example of people not letting the Capitalistic cycle work itself out. Believe me that if there is a demand in this country for cars then people and companies will make them. The government does not need to interfere. If a company doesn't sell good products, then they either reinvent themselves or go out of business, that is how it is suppose to work...so let it.

13 comments:

  1. I wish we could find a way to move all the baby boomers that got us into this mess, out of their plush corner offices. Not only are they putting our generation in a position where we can't win, but we have to pay their social security while we are fixing the problem during a recession. I have more to say, but I am on my iPhone while locking out another business that is not making it in these harsh times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, but I don't feel all of this are the baby boomers fault.

    ReplyDelete
  3. which generation do you think is most to blame?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't disagree that they are the most to blame. I just don't believe we can point the finger and blame everything on them. I feel that there are many issues our generation is creating that our tax dollars are being spent on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what issues do you think our generation is creating?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think there are more people on welfare, more people with personal debt, and more people trying to live outside of their means. I think personal accountability has become worse with each generation. I sometimes feel that instead of fixing problems we come up with “reasons/excuses” as to why they are happening. I think that many people in our generation believe they are entitled to privileges we have in this country instead of having to work for them. Our school system is a good example of this. All generations have their good and bad contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a good point. So not only are the baby-boomers to blame for our country's current bleak situation, but also for raising us to not have personal accountability. haha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that is one of my favorites....my parents were sh&*y so I will blame everything wrong in my life on them. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. This blog is making me think way to hard about problems that are deep and multifaceted, and I don't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think it's the blog, I think it was that tortilla soup you had for lunch...it's called indigestion, but don't worry it will pass

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't feel my parents failed to properly instill in me a sense of accountability so much as I simply refuse to be held accountable for anything. In short, I take full accountability for my lack of accountability.

    Also, I don't think it's right for you to blame the soup. While I agree the discomfort of indigestion can lead to a lack of concentration, it rarely affects one's taste in blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're truly a gentleman and a scholar sir

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Sarah, sorry for the delay but I was in meetings all day yesterday...I know...slacker right. But my only worry with all three auto companies failing at once is the ripple affect. Think of all the parts that go into a car and all the other companies supplying to the automakers. If all three shut down, then those other companies shut down too...causing the ripple. If it was just one of the car companies I would 100% say let them fail, but what worries me is that its all of them. Considering that Toyota even posted their first lost in 25 years...that's saying its not just the American's

    ReplyDelete