Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Cars we were promised?


Obama has come out recently and said all new cars will need to meet at least 40 mpg standards. That's great, it's about time. Why are we the only country that still make new cars that only get 12-15 mpg? This is one area where I really appreciate government regulation. EPA regulations concerning emissions have really helped keep our environment clean and healthy. Citizens of LA can actually see each other again. There is no incentive in a free market system for companies to not pollute. Except for really innovative companies who find ways to reuse their waste to increase their bottom line, most companies have decided its cheaper to send it to a landfill, emit it, burn it, waste it, etc... Unless we as citizens act through our government to keep strict environmental regulations, our entire country will turn into one big landfill smog pit marsh wasteland that is beyond hope and where babies are born with 3 arms (re: Mad Max Beyond the Thunderdome, Detroit, El Paso, Corpus Christi, etc...). So good job Obama. He's also pushing a big thing right now for white roofs which make help increase reflectivity, decrease roof absorbtion of light and heat, and lead to the reduction of the heat island effect (major cities can be 3-4 degrees hotter than the surrounding area). Heat island effect not only forces more energy to be used in cooling buildings, but it also has impacts on the netural landscape and vegetation. And I personally sweat like a pig when the temp. exceeds 73 degrees.

But that is not really my point of today's post. Where are the cars we were promised? Great, so we now have cars that can go further on a tank of gas, but where are the cars that don't need gas and only run on trash? Or better yet, that run on mind power. I will my car to go, so it goes. Is that a limitation of auto manufacturers or of my brain? Do you think that's air you're breathing? Hm? But seriously, where are the cars that drive themselves, have swivel sits so you can face the passengers, have integrated gps/computer/theater systems? The great movies have been promising us awesome cars for a long time, but the auto industry has fallen drastically short of this goal. Flying cars? Cars that just know? Where the hell are they? The best we can get is a built in GPS system and a car that can parallel park itself between champagne glasses. For awesome cars see Demolition Man, Fifth Element, Back to the Future (no, not the Delorian, but the cars in the future), Artificial Intelligence, and definitely Minority Report and iRobot. Where are those cars?
Don't make me take matters into my own hands (see picture above).

16 comments:

  1. Normally I would say that the market should tell the auto industry to make more efficient vehicles, but the only way that is going to happen is by sky rocketing gas prices (like what happened last year and SUV's and big rig truck sales plummeted). But government forcing the auto industry to make more fuel efficient cars while fuel prices are reasonably low, will help us be more enviromental while also ensuring lower fuel costs in the future (by decreasing demand, or at least slowing down the increase of demand). So yeah, nice job Obama baby mama drama. Although I wish that someone would have started a program like the RED campaign. Where products marked with a RED tag indicate that purchasing that product guarantees that a portion of the proceeds will go to AIDS research. It was good for businesses because they hope that by people knowing that they will give some money to a good cause, people are more likely to buy that product, and people will feel good about buying the product because they're helping the world. WIN-WIN. Although not as good as a WIN-WIN-WIN situation, like they have on the office.

    I want my future car to have a toilet for a driver's seat. That's when I know we've reached the pinnacle of technology, when I can poop at 80 mph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Car companies have gotten comfortable with how things were before the economy started to crash. There wasn’t enough of a demand from the consumers to have these cars that drive themselves or fly or whatever. As long as people keep buying what the auto industry sells without question it isn’t going to change. Perfect example is that just recently we have been asking for more efficient cars and so just recently it has become a big issue. Car companies and the government have jumped on board but it wasn’t until the cost of gas prices elevated to what we consider extreme levels for even consumers to care. So I guess I am agreeing with Casey.

    The other problem could be that flying cars or cars that drive themselves requires that a much larger system and infrastructure to be installed. Can you imagine the changes that would have to occur for Americans to “safely” drive through the sky and not on the ground anymore? Maybe each car will just have a very complicated system of sensors that will allow each car to be stand alone and not a smaller piece of a larger network.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flying cars scare me, the last think I want is all the stupid people on the road having the option to fly now. Just think of the issues that will require architecture to change alone with cars hitting buildings in mid air. No thank you. Oh and I wish your blog had spell check as it does not let me copy my text into word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mine lets me copy and paste...I just right click

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did the ctrl c, I will try that next time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know this is not open mic friday and is not related at all, but the image just cracks me up and I will forget by Friday to post it.

    http://pictureisunrelated.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/wtf-pics-boss-butt-tunnel.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would prefer the transportation shown in the movie Minority report over the flying cars. I mean just think....less DWI's, no one would have to drive on long road trips, everyone could have a few drinks on the way to river trips and not worry about it, less road rage, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teslamotors.com

    Tell me you wouldn't want either of these hippie-mobiles?

    I really do think that electric and fuel cell vehicles are the future of the sustainable auto industry. I just want someone tell me why a company like this can't get any of the federal funding the "Big Three" received?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If Tesla can already make all-electric cars with these capabilities, I see no reason why we can't all be driving electric cars in the next ten to fifteen years.

    I just hope that U.S. based companies can be the industry leaders in what seems to be a no-brainer automotive revolution. Tesla has already created a battery that can run for 330 miles on one charge, and we all know how fast technology can spread and improve (cell phones, HD TV's, computers, etc...)

    I think investing in the right company before the boom could pay off huge for anyone not afraid of investing in a multi-tiered marketing scheme (aka the stock market)! A lot of these electric cars will be available in the next couple of years and if the first wave of them is a success the industry will explode (in a good way)!

    And Keith, there is federal funding for these electric car companies. Not only are they helping these companies hit the ground running, but they are offering great tax break incentives for those who buy all-electric cars, creating a higher demand for their products. You may not agree with his methods, but Obama is on the right side of the argument once again if you ask me.

    One more quick side note, I think the U.S. becoming energy independant could very well be the cause of WW3. Seriously, one thing that I think keeps us safe from the middle east is their ability to make billions of dollars off of us every year. Once that changes, I fear they will have no reason to try and take us off the map.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before the grammar Nazis hang me by my balls I realize my last sentence is a single negative when what I needed is a double negative or no negative at all...and guess what...I could care less!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brett,
    You could care less? or you couldN'T care less? I'm confused on the amount of caring you could or could not do.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kevin,
    Kudos on that site. The whole site and all of its links are awesome. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmmmm...Casey, the real question is could you get the joke I was making any less or couldn't you get the joke I was making any less? Unlike you or Nancy, I am not going to make a post with the single intention of pointing out an error that I made while making the very same error that I am pointing out....so good job on that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. And thank you for capitalizing the N and the T in your response so that all the of the special people looking at this blog knew what you were talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're welcome. Also, I think this is funny: http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/fail-owned-accident-note-fail.jpg?w=375&h=500

    ReplyDelete
  16. Who all thinks that Justin should bring his engery drinks to sell on the river. Just think of all those drunk people Justin, come on lets get that payline number up.

    ReplyDelete