Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Legalize the Ganja?



Should marijuana be legalized in the US? Many argue that it's no different than smoking or drinking and is only illegal for political reasons. Furthermore an argument could be made that it's more natural than alcohol, not to mention it' s already being used for medicinal purposes in some parts of the US. Others say that although people do not develop a chemical addiction to it like they do with cocaine or heroin, people can develop a habitual addiction. In addition, it can cause temporary problems with short term memory, concentration, and motor skills. But it seems hard to justify pot being illegal while alcohol, which has many of the same above named side effects is legal. But if we legalize weed, does it stop there? Will we eventually decide as a society to legalize all drugs and let each individual decide if they want to use them or not? Or will our society turn in the other direction and eventually outlaw everything with potential harmful effects like smoking, drinking, fast food, butter, etc... Where do we draw the line?

9 comments:

  1. I say legalize it, and tax the hell out of it like cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The day the US outlaws fast food or butter is the day I support Texas' secession!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If anyone has time, I highly suggest watching the Inside The Actor's Studio with Dave Chappelle to the left. It's the one that says "Becoming Apua" on the bottom. It's extremely interesting and entertaining. However, it is an hour and a half long, but totally worth it.


    I don't have much to say about this post. I have no problem with pot being legalized, but have 0 intetest in advocating for it. It makes no difference to me either way. I know that it would be difficult to tax because marijuana is so easy to cultivate yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If only to hear some reporter say: "Pork belly futures have fallen for the fourth week in a row, but Pot and Cheetos have again exceeded expectations with strong 3rd quarter earnings"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have to say that I am with Casey on this one - generally indifferent to the arguments for or against. However, if pot were to be commercially produced and distributed, I do think that the market would eventually win out over private production and a tax system would be viable.(Much the same way that the current alcohol production/distribution model evolved.) I don't think it will eliminate private growers totally, but I think it might be eventually be closer in scale to the moonshine or "home-brew" beer culture.....Just imagine going to Bed Bath and Beyond to pick up a home hydroponic pot kit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake - interesting post. I just wrote a paper about TX HB 164 - regarding medical marijuana for school. I don't see Texas making any sort of decision about this topic in the near future.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am with Casey on this one. But this is a great video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-CL9OFRBZM

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maggie - could I read your paper? I think it would be very interesting.

    Also, despite the lack of paragraph breaks (Jake claims the software is messing up) I'd really like everyone to read my post. Maybe it will change your mind to being "indifferent" on this subject.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read your entire post. And although very well put together and well argued (which might be the only time you hear me agree with you politically) I remain uninterested in advocating for it. Don't get me wrong, the $10 billion figure spent in enforcing marijuana laws is absurd and would be the primary reason I would support the decriminalization of marijuana, but I do not feel any passion about the issue.

    Maybe we could combine our interests and argue that the $10 billion spent on marijuana enforcement, instead be spent on adult protective services, such as Watchful Guardians LLC (www.watchfulguardians.com). Sound good?

    ReplyDelete